Tel: 01236 425242
1845 – Robert Morrrison came from Bathgate to Airdrie to investigate the possibilities of forming a Church in the town to be associated with the Evangelical Union which had been founded in Kilmarnock two years before. As a result, a small number of men and women, who were inspired by his preaching, came out of Ebenezer Congregational Church and on the 2nd November 1845, the Airdrie Evangelical Union Church came into being. The first meetings were held at Abercromby School in the town’s High Street.
1846 – The congregation move from Abercrobmy School to the Trades Hall in Bank Street.
1847 – The congregation moved to a large hall on the south side of Graham Street but times were difficult for the Church with three ministers coming and going in the space of three years
1850 - A new building was secured on the north side of Graham Street which gave the Church the stability it needed in the town and was ‘home’ for the next 55 years
1899 – The two stained glass windows were installed, one of which depicts the ‘Good Shepherd’ and is in memory of Rev A.M. Wilson, minister from 1851-1869, the other is a reproduction of Holman Hunt’s celebrated picture ‘Light of the World’ and is in memory of James & Margaret Blair McLay, church members from 1855-1879. The Church also received the gift of a silver Communion service from Mrs Neil in memory of her husband who had been a member for 33 years. These windows remain in the church today.
1903 – Recognising that both the town of Airdrie and the congregation were growing there was once again a need to find larger premises, and the site at Kirkness Street was selected with the foundation stone being laid on 3rd October by G.J. Wildridge of Gartness House. As part of the ceremony a ‘time capsule’ jar was deposited and a trowel was presented by the architect James Scotland.
1906 – The old church in Graham Street was sold to the Freemasons for a Masonic Temple and the congregation first worshiped in the new building on 30th April 1906 with Rev George Gladstone conducting the service. The new church could accommodate 450 people and was completed at a cost of £2,300 !
1909 – Additional buttresses had to be erected to support the west wall of the building at a cost of £500 which plunged the church even further into debt. As a result many members left and the church was in crisis, there were no Managers and the minister could only be paid half his salary of £150 (with a manse)
1921 – With the Church flourishing again, the Bond with Airdrie Savings Bank for the building of the church was reduced from £940 to £300
1923 – A Memorial to the men of the Church who gave their life in the Great War was unveiled and dedicated in the front vestibule.
1928 – The sanctuary was further enhanced with the addition of a Communion table made from Austrian Oak as a memorial to William McIlwraith who had served as choirmaster for many years
1929 – The remaining £300 Bond with the bank was finally paid off – 23 years after the building first opened. However £456 was still owed to the Congregational Union fund for building costs relating to the church and the manse. The Girls Guildry was formed
1932 – A ‘freewill’ offering scheme was introduced to try and stabilise the churches finances – the same scheme is still in operation today
1936 – A Boys Brigade company and Life Boy team were formed under the leadership of Mr McIvor
1937 – Electric lighting was installed in place of the existing gas burners
1939 – The organisations were suspended as the leaders were called up for military service in WW2 – in total at least 65 members were called for war service
1942 – The church was finally clear of debt. Permanent heating was installed in the church hall to replace the small coal fire which had been used since 1906
1943 – An oak baptismal font was gifted by the young people of the church. Joint services were held for the first time with the other two Congregational churches in the town as during July & August, mainly as a result of a shortage of pulpit supply due to the war
1944 – It was agreed that Communion would be held on a monthly basis – previously it had been celebrated every quarter (3 months)
1945 – The Sunday School had over 100 children on the roll and 13 teachers